Monday, March 22, 2010

Review of My World 2.0

Disclaimer: I have a tendency to like that "pop" sound, but I appreciate all kinds of music. I am very outspoken and will speak my mind when it needs a-speaking. So if I tend to sound very biased, but that is because I am. You have to be biased if you're human, you just don't have to share it. Too bad I will...xoxo

So I was one of those people who preordered My World 2.0 :P and it's currently on repeat. So here's my attempt at a review of it without being totally biased...

On Friday, I came home to find a package with my name on it. I opened it and screamed...well, shrieked would be a better word. I get to be one of the first to hear this CD. My expectations were high or at least better than the first album. I looked at the track list and saw some familiar songs, and then I saw some not so familiar songs. Well, here it goes!

Tracks

1. Baby featuring Ludacris - 4.5/5
Like the first album, Bieber puts his first single as the first track of the album, which is a frequently used and very smart trick. Starting the album on a good note. The upbeat tune of this song gives a great, happy, and energetic start to the album. With Ludacris rapping, he brings in more fans, mostly female, to his...fanbase. The recurrent theme of puppy love in his songs is very age-appropriate, him being 16 years old. I give it my approval :)

2. Somebody to Love - 4.25/5
The song starts with an old-school, 80's sounding beat to give an exciting start to this song. Bieber then sings about the things he wants for love. The second song in an album isn't always necessarily good, but this song is decent. Personally, it's not my favorite, but it's very upbeat and very fun to listen to.

3. Stuck in the Moment - 4.25/5
When I first heard the beginning of this song, I swore I was listening to "Bedrock". I was DEFINITELY wrong lol. This song references great loves and their struggles through love. This song is slow and fast at the same time, having a slowish beat, yet still keeping up to the beat of the past two songs...kinda. Slightly explores Bieber's vocal range, but it could be better. Still very good.

4. U Smile - 4.5/5
FAVORITE SONG
I absolutely, positively love love love this song! The use of piano in this fan dedicated song makes this more ballady than Bieber's other up-beat pop songs. He brings back the old sounds of R&B and Soul while still bringing in his well-known sound. From the inspirations of Boyz II Men and Michael Jackson, Bieber's influences are very evident in this song. The melismas he delivers with his pre-pubescent voice is rather surprising, with his voice not hitting the peak quite yet.

5. Runaway Love - 4.5/5
When I first listened to this song, I didn't give it a chance. So I decided to listen to it a few more times. After extensively and constantly listening to it, I decided to redo its review: I LOVE THIS SONG. This song is reminiscent of a young Michael Jackson, showing his vocal range. The unusual-ness of the song makes it very interesting.

6. Never Let You Go - 4/5
You know how some songs sound better acoustically? Actually, most songs usually do, with the exception of Ke$ha, that dirty looking woman...not the point. Well, Bieber posted this song on Youtube acoustically first, raising the expectations of this song. This is another song that could've been better, yet its beat doesn't match the lyrics. The chorus' sound doesn't match the verses, yet it is very well-done.

7. Overboard featuring Jessica Jarrell - 4/5
As you may or may have not concurred by now, I love the sound of the piano. The beginning of the simplicity of the piano sets up for a good song. Also, duets between the girl and boy voice is perfect for good love songs. The chorus is just too cheesy for my likings, giving analogy between drowning and needing love. The vocals, however, are amazing in this song :). By the way, I'd be on the lookout for this Jessica Jarrell girl...very strong voice for being 14/15-ish.

8. Eenie Meenie featuring Sean Kingston- 4.25/5
I am not a huge fan of rap, but, being a "music critic" I must condone it. I think that mixing singing and rap is very good, and Bieber and Kingston deliver. They turn the phrase of "Eenie Meenie Miney Moe" from a simple picking game to describing a "player girl". This song is very friendly to the mainstream radio ears. Very versatile for the non-Bieber liker...

9. Up - 4.5/5
The slow beat doesn't do any good for this song, yet the lyrics in this song saves it from drowning in my pool of "I HATE SLOW SONGS". From the thought of going "nowhere but up", Bieber takes a new message of love into inspiration, by saying there is no other way but up. Also he borrows a lyric from Selena Gomez, "As long as you're with me baby," but we won't worry about any copyright mumbo jumbo.

10. That Should Be Me - 4.75/5
BEST SONG
This song is definitely a tear-jerker, and it is definitely hands down the best song on this album. 1. The lyrical content in this song. Definitely lyrics about unrequited love/lost love touch a tender spot in the heart. 2. The passion heard in Bieber's voice gives him a promising future after puberty. 3. The use of piano in this song makes it a ballad, the electric guitar makes it a rock ballad, and the back-up singers of soul and R&B makes it...Justin Bieber's style. This song not only sums up Bieber, but definitely is a great note to end on.

Overall Rating for Die-hard Bieber Fans - A+
Overall Rating for Normal People - B+
Overall Rating for Bieber Haters - C-
Overall Rating for the music enthusiast - B/B+

No comments:

Post a Comment